By the numbers:
- 183,649: Charleston-North Charleston, SC has 183,649 millennials (ages 25-39). The national average for an area this size is 165,386
- 40,000: Students enrolled in area colleges and universities
- 66,324: Charleston-North Charleston, SC has 66,324 veterans. The national average for an area this size is 44,900
- 31,000+: Potential candidates in the region’s workforce system
Strong Charleston regional population growth has contributed to a labor force growth rate three (3) times that of the national average. The Charleston region also enjoys one of the most experienced and educated workforce populations in the nation.
Charleston’s Existing Workforce Pool:
- 380,000 workers in the Charleston region.
- 31,300+ potential candidates in the SC Works online workforce system.
- 90.7 percent of residents have a high school diploma or GED.
- 35.6 percent of residents have a bachelors or advanced degree.
Charleston’s Future Workforce Pipeline:
- More than 40,000 students are enrolled in area colleges and universities.
- Nearly 15,000 high school students are enrolled in high school career academies.
- 30 new residents move to the region each day.
TOP OCCUPATIONS By 2-Digit NAICS (By 2020 Jobs)
Occupation – Job Count (2020 median hourly earnings)
- Office and Administrative Support Occupations – 50,400 Jobs ($17.29)
- Sales and Related Occupations – 41,500 Jobs ($13.62)
- Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations – 40,900 Jobs ($10.16)
- Transportation and Material Moving Occupations – 34,000 Jobs ($14.60)
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Occupations – 27,200 Jobs ($31.73)
- Production Occupations – 22,000 Jobs ($18.60)
- Construction and Extraction Occupations – 19,800 Jobs ($19.08)
- Management Occupations – 18,700 Jobs ($45.35)
- Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations – 17,900 Jobs ($21.15)
- Education, Training, and Library Occupations – 16,700 Jobs ($21.82)
- Business and Financial Operations Occupations – 16,100 Jobs ($30.73)
- Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occupations – 17,500 Jobs ($11.67)
- Personal Care and Service Occupations – 12,700 Jobs ($10.92)
- Computer and Mathematical Occupations – 12,100 Jobs ($37.42)
Source: Emsi 2020.4 – QCEW Employees, Non-QCEW Employees, and Self-Employed
FASTEST GROWING OCCUPATIONS by 2-DIGIT NAICS
- Transportation and Material Moving Occupations
- Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Occupations
- Business and Financial Services Occupations
- Sales and Related Occupations
- Personal Care and Service
- Construction and Extraction Occupations
- Production Occupations
- Installation, Maintenance, and Repair
- Healthcare Support
- Computer and Mathematical Occupations