Sunny with a high of 75
Nestled alongside the Ashley and Cooper rivers as they flow into the Atlantic Ocean, Charleston enjoys a subtropical climate—with mild winters and warm, sunny summers. On average, July is our warmest month, January is our coldest, and August gets the most rainfall.
Average Temperature by Season
- Spring average temperatures: 58° F (14.4° C) to 72° F (22.2° C)
- Summer average temperatures: 78° F (25.6° C) to 82° F (27.8° C)
- Autumn average temperatures: 58° F (14.4° C) to 76° F (24.4° C)
- Winter average temperatures: 47° F (8.3° C) to 52° F (11.1° C)
Other Key Statistics
- According to the National Weather Service, since 1851, 42 tropical cyclones have made landfall in the “CWS Charleston, SC County Warning Area” which includes Charleston County, South Carolina southward through McIntosh County, Georgia.
- Average annual precipitation – rainfall: 51.06 inches
- Days per year with precipitation – rainfall: 119 days
- Annual hours of sunshine: 2,993 hours
Source: Data as of November 2017, National Weather Service, U.S. Climate Data